Apply For a License

Step 1: State Registrations

All businesses in Utah are required to register with the Utah Department of Commerce. This 

is required so that a comprehensive state registry of all businesses and corporate information is available for public reference. This information is vital to an orderly legal system and marketplace. Without it, the public or other businesses may have no way of knowing the persons with whom they are doing business.

Utah State Department of Commerce
Heber M. Wells Building
160 E 300 South
Salt Lake City, UT
Phone: 801-530-4849

This process will take 4 to 6 weeks by mail or can be done immediately in person or online. Please do this before applying to the city for a city license.

Sales Tax

In Utah, sales tax is generally charged on sales of tangibles, or services to tangible, personal property items. It is generally not charged on sales of, or services to real property (land or buildings). If your business will be collecting sales tax (selling or reselling products to consumers) you will need to get a sales tax number from the Department of Commerce or Utah State Tax Commission. For more information, call 801-297-2200. If you need a temporary sales tax number (for a temporary businesses) you can call the Department of Commerce Special Events Collection Division at 801-297-6303. Please do this before applying to the city for a license.

Step 2: Business License Application

You can now fill out your application online or visit City Hall to obtain an application. Our Business License Officer can help you determine what type of business license you will need.

Minor Home Occupation

Due to recently adopted legislation and revisions to Kaysville City Ordinances, Minor Home Occupation businesses are currently NOT required to obtain a Kaysville City business license as long as the criteria below is met. However, a business license certificate can be obtained as long as a processing fee is paid with the business license application. There are some benefits to obtaining a business license from the city.  Some companies, wholesale dealers, or banks require that a license be obtained. A licensed business may also be separate from your personal taxes and as such business taxes are filed separately.  This gives you the opportunity to deduct certain things for your business (including the processing fee) that you would not be able to through your personal tax return. Licensing your business also gives you the opportunity to participate in associations where networking can be of benefit to building professional relationships, however many require that you be licensed. The Better Business Bureau is one of them.

A Minor Home Occupation is a business conducted in a home that has minor impact on a neighborhood. Minor Home Occupations are conducted entirely within your home, by the inhabitants and no others. The owner of the home business must reside in the dwelling. No more than 300 square feet or 10 percent of the gross floor area (whichever is smaller) is allowed for Minor Home businesses. The use shall not require deliveries from commercial suppliers to the home occupation, or deliveries from the home occupation. There cannot be any advertising or other indications outside the home that there is a home business on the premises.

The following examples of uses by the nature of the investment or operation have a pronounced tendency to increase beyond the limits permitted and thereby may be considered as "Major Home Occupations:

  • Contractors offices,
  • Handymen,
  • Carpet or upholstery cleaners, 
  • Child care,
  • Minor or major auto repair,
  • Beauty salon,
  • Instructional lessons or classes,
  • Appliance repair,
  • Upholstering,
  • Small engine repairs,
  • Gun repair or dealer,
  • Pest or weed control services,
  • Massage therapy,
  • Welding shop,
  • Veterinary hospitals or kennels,
  • Woodworking businesses.

To obtain this license, an applicant needs to fill out a business license application, submit appropriate registration from the State, and read and sign a minor home occupation affidavit.

Carefully read the Home Occupation Compliance Questions and Statements attached to the license application, and sign if you feel you meet the requirements for a Minor Home business. It is important that you be very specific under the "Description of Business" category to help with the review of your application. Home occupation business licenses are renewed annually on or before December 31st of every year.

Major Home Occupations A, B & C

A major home occupation is a business conducted in a home that has the potential for impact on a neighborhood. This license requires approval from the Planning Commission. The applicant must fill out the page "Conditional Use Information" as part of the business license application to be placed on the agenda for Planning Commission consideration. The Zoning Administrator will then set up a time to discuss the Home Occupation Ordinance with the applicant.

Following Planning Commission approval, applicant will be required to pay appropriate fees ($15 set up fee plus $65 license fee). Home occupation business licenses are renewed annually on or before December 31st of every year. License fees are not pro-rated (PDF).

Commercial Business

Commercial businesses are businesses conducted in the commercially zoned areas of the city. To obtain a license, have the Zoning Administrator help you determine if your business is within a commercial zone, fill out an application and a security form for the Police Department, and pay the appropriate fees ($15 set up fee plus $80 license fee). A fire inspection will then be required and arranged through the city. If you are selling beer or alcohol, you will need to fill out a separate Beer/Alcohol Business License Application as well as a Commercial business license application. Business licenses are renewed annually on or before December 31st of every year. License fees are not pro-rated.

Other Possible Requirements with Application

Professional Business

A professional license will need to be obtained from the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing for certain professions (CPA's, doctors, contractors, nail and hair beauticians, etc.).

Heber M. Wells Building
160 East 3rd South
Salt Lake City, UT
Phone: 801-530-6628
Utah Division of Professional Licensing Website

Health Department Inspection

If a business deals with the handling of food, an inspection from the Davis County Health Department will be required before a license can be issued (this includes day cares and preschools).

Davis County Health Department
22 South State Street
Clearfield, UT
Phone: 801-525-5000

Fire Inspection

Fire inspections are required of all commercial businesses, day cares, and preschools. A fire inspection may also be required on a home occupation that may use hazardous or combustible materials. View specifics on Day Care Fire Regulations (PDF).

Child Care Licensing

Residential child care of not more than 12 children may be allowed by conditional use permit in all residential zones. A provider who cares for 5 to 8 children will need to obtain a State Residential Child Care Certificate. A provider who cares for 9 or more children shall obtain a State license.

Child Care Licensing
Salt Lake Region Office
3760 South Highland Drive
Room 403
Salt Lake City, UT
Phone: 801-273-6617

Building Permit

A building permit is required for building changes, modifications, additions, and remodels to the building/space (electrical, plumbing, mechanical, structural) along with associated fees. Please call the Kaysville Building Department at 801-544-1363 if you have any questions.

Step 3: Application Approval

After submitting your completed application, it will be forwarded to the Community Development Department where they will verify the information given and if further information is needed or a conditional use permit needs to be approved. For questions about your application or the requirements of obtaining a license, you can contact the Community Development Office at 801-546-1241. Once the Community Development office has reviewed your application you will be sent an email stating the license fees that are required and instructions on how to pay them.

If no further information or a conditional use permit is needed, Home Occupation licenses are typically issued within a week of applying. Commercial businesses licenses cannot be issued until after the appropriate building and fire department inspections have been completed. Licenses will be mailed to you.