Off-Duty Peace Officer Employment

Rules Pertaining to Outside Employment

  • All members of the department must apply to the administration and receive written permission to accept outside employment. 
    • Applications of request shall be obtained from the administration. 
    • Applications shall be renewed each year by the original month and date of approval.
  • If a business or entity is employing an off-duty police officer for private security, the business or entity must adhere to UCA 58-63-304(2)(c): the business or entity employing the off-duty peace officer to work as a security officer complies with state and federal income reporting and withholding requirements regarding the off-duty officer's wages.